Beat The Bite
Recent rainfall and floods across the state has led to ideal breeding conditions for mosquitoes that can spread disease.
In light of this, the Andrews Labor Government recently announced an additional $4.6 million in funding to seventeen higher risk and flood affected councils across rural Victoria to combat the spread of mosquito borne diseases.
Additionally, Beat the Bite is a campaign from the BetterHealth Channel to help people stay safe and prepared for mosquito borne diseases during the summer season.
There are simple ways that you can beat the bite, including:
• Wear loose-fitting clothing when outdoors
• Use mosquito repellent containing DEET or picaridin on exposed skin
• Try to limit outdoor activity if lots of mosquitos are about (usually dusk and dawn)
• Make sure there is no stagnant water where mosquitos can breed around your home
• On holidays make sure your accommodation is properly fitted with mosquito netting or screens
• Don’t forget the kids – it’s safer to spray or run insect repellents on their clothes rather than directly onto their skin
For more information, visit the BetterHealth Channel: